When I started my freelance career, I would immediately sit at my desk in the morning, and at the end of the day, I went straight from my desk to bed. Over the course of the time, it seemed as if I only ever did client-work. I felt stagnant – personally and professionally.
That’s when I started to make daily small changes to find balance and take care of myself. I started with my skincare routine. As a stay-at-home freelancer, my makeup-free days are numerous. But, sans-makeup does not mean I’m not taking care of my skin.
Each morning and evening, I pamper myself for ten minutes. This routine refreshes and energizes me in the morning, and relaxes and calms me in the evening.
Typically, I have oily skin (both a blessing and a challenge). My skin changed with the move to California – it gets dry. Therefore, my morning and night skincare routine focuses on restoring balance to my face.
Using Oils with Oily Skin
A few years ago, Laurie convinced me that I should not be scared of oils. Until that point, I had always been conscious of using oil-free products. My skin would go from extremes – very dry after cleansing to slick and oily within hours. Once I made the switch to use gentler products, my skin and breakouts cleared up.
Morning Skincare Routine
Before I workout each morning, I splash my face with cold water to wake up. After I workout, I shower and go through a quick 5-minute application of the following:
- Cleanser: Each day, I alternate between Mario Badescu Glycolic Foaming Cleanser and Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cleanser (mild). The former is a great exfoliant cleanser that is gentle enough for morning use.
- Serum: Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum is a bit of an investment, but I have found it totally worth it. Whenever I use this serum, my skin seems to go long stretches without breakouts.
- Sunscreen: I wear sunscreen every day, 365 days of the year. My new favorite is this bareMinerals Prep Lotion with SPF50. It’s non-greasy.
- Moisturizer: I switch moisturizers pretty regularly and don’t have a brand loyalty to anything in particular. This winter, I used Kiehl’s Rare Earth Pore Minimizing Lotion, but I have recently switched to Glossier’s Priming Moisturizer (another recommendation from Laurie). Both are great if I decide to wear makeup that day.
- Lip Care: My lips tend to get very dry throughout the day, so I’m constantly applying balm to my lips. My two favorites are Glossier’s Flavored Balm Dotcom and Kiehl’s Lip Relief.
Evening Skincare Routine
The day’s activities, madness layer on my face throughout the day. I love the feeling of going to bed with a clean face. This routine takes a little bit longer if I do a mask, but I’m usually multitasking.
- Cleansing: I love love love using IT Cosmetics Cleansing Balm (c/o). You simply massage the balm to your face, and then wash it off with water. The balm pulls the dirt and oil off of your face without over-drying it.
- Exfoliate: I will exfoliate with either Dermalogica’s Daily Superexfoliant (c/o) or Fresh’s Beauty Umbrian Clay Mattifying Exfoliant. The Demalogica exfoliant is another fun one – you add water to the powder and rub it on your face. It suds up and scrubs without being rough or harsh.
- Mask: Every other evening I will do a mask – either Herbivore’s Blue Tansy mask or Origins Active Charcoal Mask. Blue Tansy was another investment piece, but it’s the only AHA + BHA product that I use in my routine.
- Serum: Again, I reply my Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum. I really love using this morning-night.
- Moisturizer: I apply OleHenriksen’s Sheer Transformation, an oil-free moisturizer that helps improve dark spots and discoloration, which I need from years of not wearing sunscreen properly.
That’s it – 15 or 20 minutes each day that I dedicate to myself and my self-care. It sounds really simple – wash your face – but the process is very meditative and restorative.
Do you have a nightly skincare regime? What products do you love?